Monday 29 June 2020

Newbie With a Few Questions

My antminer s9 just got here and I have the PSU and all the cords needed but one thing has stopped me from setting it up and getting started because no matter how much I look around the internet, it seems no one has my exact situation.

I'm a uni student living off-campus (albeit next to my school) so don't worry I'm using my own electricity for this but since so many students live in this building, the school has their internet wired to this building too with working ports in the walls and all.

I don't want to pay for my own internet on top of electricity (I'm not in the best of financial situations thanks to COVID) and from what I've read, one single antminer s9 isn't gonna be sucking the internet out of the school but what worries me is that I hear that while they won't be red-flagged by the miner itself but more often they'll get a red flag if they detect a pool in their system (idk the exact terminology but basically the pool is a risk problem).

So from what I can gather I have two possible options that I'm not sure would even work.

  1. I have a ethernet to USB dongle and I was wondering if that would work to be able to bridge the miner to my pc and on my pc ill just run a VPN (doubt this works at all as I imagine tbh)
  2. I've heard that all I need is a router but that's also where I heard of people using it and getting caught because they still detected a pool

Some details before I get flamed in the comments, as per these "mining at uni" posts tend to go:

This is the only miner I have/will get, I don't intend or even want to run the risk of trying to make some crackpot makeshift crypto farm in my room right next to the school. I want a future lol

My situation would allow it to be barely profitable and that's fine. I just want something to help out my money issue (hence I can't really afford to get my own internet for this, and even if I did, it would render my miner useless (if not detrimental) as all the profits would probably be taken by said internet, and then some)

I also want to do this as a way to get my foot in the door of this cool world of crypto mining.

So can anyone help me out with this issue? Or am I stupid for wanting to do this in the first place?

Tl;Dr

Uni student with my own electricity wanting to use uni internet (ethernet wall ports) for mining with single antminer s9 but don't know how to prevent detection (of either miner or pool).



Submitted June 30, 2020 at 11:20AM by PolaroidBubbleTea https://bit.ly/3dMqGOu

No comments :

Post a Comment