Thursday 26 November 2015

Bitcoin helped my son with his depression.

My son has has ADHD which makes it hard for him to socialize in real life. Thankfully he's old and wise enough so bullying hasn't been an issue for the last few years but still young enough to be affected by what his peers do. I and his mother were always worried that his poor social skills could one day lead him to depression.

Much to our surprise though, we found out that online communication gave him a huge boost. He was able to make friends and take part into community activities thanks to the internet.

During Summer this year, he found about bitcoin and it's amazing how welcoming the community has been to him. Just the other day he posted on a forum to ask about cryptocurrencies after his school expressed interest and the help he received was amazing.

I've spent hours talking with my son about such topics. Prior to bitcoin I rarely had chances to bring up topics he'd find engaging but with my degree in economics and his interest in bitcoin we now have much more things to talk about when I come back from work. Almost every day he'll give me a briefing about what's going on withing the community, startups, innovation as well as the price.

I can say from personal experience that bitcoin is great for introducing tech-savvy teens to financial independence and economics. It'd even better if there was a friendlier and dedicated platform to learn other than support and beginner boards in multi-topic forums. Websites like bitcointalk.org seem like wild west to me... There are some gold mines, several good folks but you'd have to put some effort into trying to find them while avoiding the bad guys.

Finally, since I've gotten to know what a tl;dr is...

tl;dr: Son has adhd, bitcoin's interesting tech and open source nature helps him be part of the community and be part of the community, learn to do lots of cool and productive things as well as talk about the cool tech at school. Huge confidence boost for the entire family, helped me connect and engage with him.

Thanks you all for being awesome.



Submitted November 27, 2015 at 04:49AM by bitThankful http://bit.ly/1Xjoc0o

No comments :

Post a Comment