Friday 29 July 2016

Don't be like me-Tale of lost BTC

We all know this, and most are reasonably tech savvy if playing with digital money of the future. I know better but was thoughtless. So I had 0.75 BTC in a Mycelium wallet on my I-phone which I thought I had backed up a year and a half ago when I created the wallet (always double check such notions-as the backup might not in fact be where you thought it was) So anyway, I have been on IOS 8.2 for ages and got excited about the new 9.3.3 jailbreak and decided to hastily update. Made an I-Tunes backup and restored my phone to the new OS. THIS is where I made my mistake. The important wallet data actually lives in the Iphone's device keychain (I now sadly know this info) and that data does not get backed up by I-Tunes unless you go in and specify encrypted backup. So I updated and have the new OS working great. Opened Mycelium and see that it is asking me to restore my wallet or create a new one. Spoke to the Mycelium tech support people, so this has nothing to do with them- pure user error on my part. If you have a wallet on your I-Phone, choose encrypted backup to make sure it backs up your device keychain. If any programers out there have any amazing ideas about how to gain access to the previous OS' device keychain, let me know. Otherwise, learn from my mistake-double check your wallet backups today. TLDR: Updated Iphone without checking encrypted backup--- Lost 0.75 BTC :( or alternately spent $500 on jailbreaking my Iphone



Submitted July 29, 2016 at 08:46AM by tommy444uu http://bit.ly/2aQ7nW1

No comments :

Post a Comment