Monday 30 January 2017

Newbie to these things needs help, please ...

Hi.

I'm brand new to these things about bitcoins and stuff, so I don't understand most of it. What I do have is a decent gaming rig and an extra graphics card laying around doing nothing. From what I've managed to research, graphics cards can be used to mine these "crypto currencies", I think they're called?

I recently bought a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming, to replace my old Gigabyte GTX 680 OC Edition. The GTX 680 is currently sitting in its box, waiting to be sold or used for something. I got the idea of putting it to work for some profit, since the GTX 1070 is perfectly capable of handling all my gaming needs alone - and it's actually better that way.

What I wanted to ask of you guys is a few questions:

1 - I've researched around, and despite my fears, I think that it is possible to have both my cards working on my rig, just not in SLI. After I pop it in and have it working, what else do I need to do to get started? I've read something about a wallet of sorts?

2 - I also found out that using graphics cards is no longer viable to mine bitcoins specifically. What other currencies should I look for, or where should ask for if it breaks any rule here?

3 - I recon that this is not just plug and play stuff, it needs specific software. What do I need or where should I go to get it? And while I'm at it, how do I configure said software?

4 - Any other info that I should be aware of?

This is just something I'd like to do as a hobby. I've read enough to know that this is not efficient to pay the electric bill, much less to make a living out of it, for that I have other means. I'd like to have this setup with 2 objectives in mind:

A - As an experiment, to see how much I can earn with this setup. Maybe I can earn enough to pay for some gaming expenses (account subcriptions, micro-transactions, etc).

B - For fun, because why not? I have a leftover card, may as well use it for something.

In case someone is interested, here are my rig specs:

CPU: i7 3770K @ 4.4GHZ

RAM: GSkill RipJaws DDR3 16GB @ 1600MHZ

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB (Gigabyte GTX 680 OC Edition 2GB in stock)

HDD: OCZ Vortex 4 128GB SSD + WD 500GB HDD

MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme

PSU: Aerocool Strike-X 800W

OS: Windows 7 SP1

Thank you very much for your cooperation.



Submitted January 31, 2017 at 06:08AM by Kam0laZ http://bit.ly/2kaiY6R

No comments :

Post a Comment