Thursday 25 February 2016

Why I switched back and support Core.

A while ago I looked into the Blocksize debate and with the information then available and the arguments pushed by Classic, I felt like I saw the light. I joined /r/btc, installed bitcoin unlimited and later Bitcoin Classic and felt good about it.

 

My reasoning was very simple:

1) My transactions got stuck from time to time and I got annoyed waiting for confirmations. 

2) I believed that just increasing the blocksize would solve the issue, everyone can handle 2MB right? 

3) I didn't like the fact that a lot of Core devs were all working for the same company (Blockstream) and at that point I believed the goal of Blockstream was to create a LN with paid subscription, which was mentioned a lot of times on /r/btc. Trying to force the average user off the blockchain. 

4) I didn't like the moderation on /r/bitcoin.

 

What I've come to realize in the last week:  

1) After reading the arguments by Peter Todd and other core devs in regards of the scaling it makes sense. You can't keep increasing the blocksize, it's the wrong approach. Bitcoin by itself will never be able to handle the amount of transactions Visa can. 

2) I like the fact that the Core team took the time to have a meeting with the big miners and some other big players in the market to come up with a consensus that neither side is happy with but both can live with. (that shows that it's a real consensus and not someone bullying the other one in a bad agreement) 

3) If you try to read /r/btc it's always the same, excuse my French, circlejerk. Always boiling down to the same issues they have with Core and Blockstream, instead of trying to focus on something positive. After reading this post about one of the main guys behind Classic, I started to have a bad feeling about it. 

4) /r/btc tries to take pride in the fact that there is no real censorship, try to make 1 post where you something remotely positive about Core (not even related to the issues with Classic) and you'll get downvoted to oblivion, it's just another type of censorship. 

5) The fact that one of the Blockstream employees, Mark Friedenbach, didn't like the consensus and was open about it, showed to me at least that there is more going on than just Blockstream trying to push their agenda and that they do have, for now, Bitcoins best interest in mind. 

6) There is still room to grow if we can fill those empty blocks being mined and Antpool that only fills to 730kb, that should be more than enough until segwit comes out.

 

Other reasons why I switched back:  

1) Core has a lot more combined programming experience than Classic, I'd rather have a team that has the experience since they will see most potential issues from miles away. Note: Gavin is not an active programmer anymore and so he has nothing to do with Classic code. 

2) Some wallets will immediately implement Segwit as soon as it's in production and anyone aware of this will use it to get in the next block. I see a lot of people immediately using this which will decrease the mempool. 

3) 1 year is long, I admit, but if you've ever been involved in a complicated software project you know that you need enough time to test and prepare all the clients, make everyone upgrade. There will always be nodes that "forget" or just don't upgrade. 

4) Just increasing the blocksize doesn't work, you need an alternative, LN is the only real realistic solution I see. I don't see 16 MB blocks happening. 

5) The Classic community is really small actually, but very vocal and negative. Just check the posts on their page, either extremely negative, trying to find some words they can twist from someone to make it seems they are evil, or the other posts are just that they mined a couple of blocks with a very limited amount of support. 

6) The Vocal leaders of Classic Olivier, Brian, Marshall, Roger, either don't have any coding experience, don't understand the impact or they are just not people I want to associate with.

 

TLDR; I'd rather be in a positive community and I believe that the roadmap proposed during the roundtable is the way to go forward.



Submitted February 25, 2016 at 10:26PM by afilja http://bit.ly/1oK7EzE

No comments :

Post a Comment