Friday 25 May 2018

A UK company has trademarked the word "BITCOIN"


I'll keep this sort. I run a very small t-shirt business and a few of my shirts contain the word bitcoin. Today I received a cease and desist letter claiming I'm breaking their trademark for the use of the word "BITCOIN", I didn't believe it at first since I knew that bitcoin and the bitcoin logo are public domain, and even a similar trademark application in the US failed. Well turns out a they did manage to get a trademark filled, it can be viewed here. So basically anyone in the UK that puts the word bitcoin on any type of clothing or even a drink can be sued.I'm posting this in the hopes someone knows the trademark laws better than me. I believe a trademark invalidation can be filed to get this removed since bitcoin is somewhat a generic term and therefore should be free for everyone to use. If anyone has the know how to file a invalidation please do so - http://bit.ly/2IKIWJw via /r/Bitcoin http://bit.ly/2LvEY9j

No comments :

Post a Comment