Monday 30 July 2018

Just realized I lost 3 Bitcoin b/c of my inexperience with paper wallets last year


Bought some Bitcoin a few years ago. Last July I decided to finally move them to a safer option than Coinbase. I created some paper wallets and sent them over. I remember being extremely nervous b/c that was the first time I sent anything out of Coinbase. Everything seemed successful and I’ve checked my balance using my address every few months since then. I finally decided to move them onto my Ledger and claim my forks. Apparently I clicked the BIP-38 box and created a password. I have no recollection of this and no record of any password or passphrase. The frustrating part is that I have created many wallets since for other coins and take every precaution with backups/laminating copies and putting them in a fireproof safe. All I remember is reading that as long as you had your private key you are good to go with the paper wallet. I can’t find a copy of a password anywhere. I’ve reached out to WalletRecoveryServices.com and hope they can help, but I’m feeling pretty hopeless here. Anyone have any other ideas or success stories?On the bright side, I have a job, a home, and an amazing wife. I’d also like to think that the fact that one can lose these coins so easily because of a simple mistake, we have a ways to go before it goes mainstream. It definitely stings quite a bit today tho. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks via /r/Bitcoin http://bit.ly/2vmS55L

No comments :

Post a Comment