Friday 31 May 2019

Clippy, Wei Dai, and Nick Szabo


I found this really interesting post with a very long comment section. Included is Wei Dai, who Satoshi Nakamoto referenced the work of in the whitepaper. It seems like $10,000 gets thrown around as a price bitcoin could reach. Consider that this was 8 years ago. In the below links to a comment that this is the post that turned his attention to mining. It seems to be a coincidence that he was a member of the forum-https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/ijr8rsyvJci2edxot/making-money-with-bitcoin#hbEu9ue9eymNzaF2J[-]Wei_Dai8yCan you change the rules of Bitcoin to help us?Hi Clippy, what made you think that I might be able to? If you read the Wikipedia article, you should know that I didn't create Bitcoin but only described a similar idea more than a decade ago. And my understanding is that the creator of Bitcoin, who goes by the name Satoshi Nakamoto, didn't even read my article before reinventing the idea himself. He learned about it afterward and credited me in his paper. So my connection with the project is quite limited.BTW, thanks to the discussion you started, I bought a Radeon 5870 and started mining myself, since it looks likely that I can at least break even on the cost of the card. (Of course I heard about Bitcoin earlier, but in my version of the idea, nobody can make large profits by mining/minting, so I didn't look into the possibility.) However I should warn you and others here that I have not analyzed the security of the protocol (since my time is perhaps better spent on other problems at the moment). My understanding is that not many other cryptographers have analyzed its security either, and in my experience these kinds of protocols often have flaws that are not found until that has happened.I arrived at the above thread/comment from a post by nick szabo- http://bit.ly/2Z33RiT boy am I shocked by how much time he took in the comment section to delicately explain how money works. His understanding of how e-currencies work and how money works is great to read through.I highly recommend you guys take a look into the above urls. I got interested in figuring out a little more about these guys, especially Wei Dai, after seeing his name in a totally unrelated paper having to do with Tor.https://murdoch.is/papers/oakland05torta.pdf“Low-Cost Traffic Analysis of Tor Steven J. Murdoch and George Danezis”Page 8: “The cover traffic should not only fill the links, to confuse a direct observer, but also make sure that it confuses indirect measurements as presented in this paper. When designing such a cover traffic strategy it is also important to keep in mind Wei Dai’s attack [5]: an adversary can try to fill the victim node with their own traffic, trying to eliminate all the cover traffic. This is very similar to the indirect mea- surement of traffic load that we have performed, and shows that Tor would have to use cover traffic all the time, and not simply when there is not enough genuine traffic to fill all the links.” via /r/Bitcoin http://bit.ly/2wrdL1m

No comments :

Post a Comment