Wednesday 30 August 2017

Bitcoin Core 0.15.0 performance is impressive


I've started a node today with Bitcoin Core 0.14.2 to use it as my wallet.I've been wanting to run Core as my wallet for a long time, but I never got the chance to use it until now.Part of that is because my machine is a bit old (Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.80GHz, 2 GB of RAM), I run Arch Linux on this 10 years old machine.I was also a bit short on disk space, but I had an SSD sitting around unused and I'm using it now for my datadir.Anyway, I started with 0.14.2 and I noticed the initial sync was going a bit slow, until someone on #bitcoin told me to upgrade to 0.15.0-rc3 and WOW.What a difference it made with performance! I noticed the initial sync is going way faster now, it's also better with resource utilization, CPU, RAM and I/O decreased dramatically to the point I can browse with Firefox while the sync is going, and I didn't had to upgrade the RAM or anything like that. Awesome!This is something you don't see every day, and like GNU/Linux, I love that Bitcoin Core works just fine with modest hardware. :)Thank you so much Core devs, I truly appreciate your work and you guys are amazing. via /r/Bitcoin http://bit.ly/2x7jA5J

No comments :

Post a Comment