Friday 21 June 2019

My personal story of Buying at the ath


Before i start, all values are in cdn $.So I bought my first bit of Bitcoin 2 years ago during the big spike. Even though I had thought of many times to buy it before I didn't. But when it skyrocketed i knew i wanted to get in. I started buying a little bit when it was at $9,000. Due to the verification restrictions and single time our base restriction i could only buy a little bit at a time (i think it was $500 per week i could buy). This was really frustrating for me because the value was going up like crazy and I felt like I was missing out big time.During the time I couldn't buy, all I had left to do was follow this subreddit. And i learned some things that helped me a lot in the long run. Most importantly, don't out in more than you can afford to lose. I decided on $10,000. This was a significant amount for me still but at the same time, if i lost it all it wouldn't have affected my other plans to buy a house etc. Secondly i kept reading everywhere to hodl. So many people mentioned at the time (and they got downvoted too) that we should expect the price to go back down as its likely a bubble but they all said to hodl. Honestly this was huge because if it wasn't for this i would have lost all the money. Thirdly, to realize that you don't lose until you sell. Fourthly, dollar cost averaging.I ended up buying my $10,000 worth of Bitcoin at varying prices between $9000 and 25000. I think the average purchase price ended up being around $15000.And then it tanked. It went all the way down to $5000 and the only reason i didn't sell was because of the points mentioned earlier. Instead i started buying more smaller amounts regularly ($50 a week). Did that for two years and I'm now easily in the green.My point is just that i could have panicked and sold but this sub taught me a lot and it really helped. Bitcoin is now my "fun" side investment. I could have definitely done it better and been more profitable but that's the other thing i learned, if you always try to time the market, you will fail more often than not.And the biggest thing that Bitcoin has helped me with is to be steady with investments and not panic. I remember about a year ago when I read in the news that the "stock market is plummeting" and i went to check my mutual funds and stock profiles. They went down like 5% which i guess is a big drop in the stock market but i kinda just scoffed and went about my day. I was amazed at how it didn't even phase me at all.Just wanted to share my story and take a minute to thank the random people in this sub. I don't fully get Bitcoin yet, I haven't used it as a currency yet but I know I'm part of something new and exciting and it feels good. via /r/Bitcoin http://bit.ly/2RtNh93

No comments :

Post a Comment