Thursday 3 March 2016

Ledger Reviews (Every product)


Ledger Starter: Very quick. Bare bones. Secure initialization of the ledger device. After trying all the products, I feel this is necessary for the super tinfoil hat people, as restoring devices in the other apps requires typing the phrase into the chrome app. Plus it was pretty cheap. Met all my expectations. 8/10Ledger Unplugged: Used it with Mycelium on Nexus 5, and boy it was cool. The only part I thought was a little awkward was the security card. I remember some smart cards with little screens to check send addresses, and Unplugged made me want those more. The process was a bit too awkward for what I have come to expect from smartphone apps in general. 6/10Ledger HW.1: I got the Copay edition. It's cool that the logo is on there haha. The only real problems I had with this one was figuring out I had to leave the adhesive on the backside and fold it over on to the adhesive... I am a habitual adhesive scraper, so I got half way through scraping it when I realized there was no mechanism to snap it shut except the adhesive. I was confused, lol. Also, I felt like I was going to break it all the time when inserting or removing it. Not sure how long it will last, but it seems to work just as fine as Nano, but for a fraction of the price. Thanks to the price point, I'll give it a 9/10. Went slightly above my expectations. (Except for the build quality of the plastic, that was slightly below)Nano: This feels like the winner. Initialization with the Starter is much more simple (if you squint your eyes at explaining how to boot a USB) than, for instance, Trezor. (Trezor is a 10/10 in my book, don't get me wrong. I own one.) However, normal initialization on the Chrome App is rather insecure. You need to be confident in your computer, which I tend not to be (to be on the safe side) I give the Nano 10/10 with the Starter, 8/10 without the Starter.Overall, one of the biggest gripes I had was the shoddy Japanese translation and the lack of Japanese BIP39 phrase support.If one of the hardware wallets would support a Ledger Starter (or Trezor) -like initialization which is all in Japanese and supports Japanese BIP39, they would get my recommendations to all the investors I meet here in Japan. I thought Starter + Nano was amazingly easy, and would love to recommend... but the English BIP39 phrases always give people pause... breadwallet and Copay have not had that problem when I recommend them, as they both support BIP39 Japanese wordlist.I've been using Trezor and love it, but I can't really justify recommending it to people here, the price point and difficulty of initialization along with lack of Japanese support including phrases always made me hold back, but Starter + Nano might be my new go to recommend for more serious investors and if it ever became Starter + Nano + full Japanese from start to finish, I'd definitely recommend.Ledger, if you need translations / Bitcoiner grade translation checks for Japanese, let me know, I'd be happy to help.Any questions about Ledger products that you want answered from an unbiased new user, as below. via /r/Bitcoin http://bit.ly/1LBoFpp

No comments :

Post a Comment