Thursday 29 June 2017

Bitcoin Blues


About five years ago I left home for university. I left my parents house and went to live in a big city in the north. I got there and didn't know anybody. In particular, I didn't know any weed dealers... I then discovered a nifty site on the deep web where you could buy drugs using a strange online-only currency called "Bitcoin". It took me a little while but I eventually figured out a way to get hold of them. Being in the UK it was apparently a bit more tricky than in the US. My first attempt involved buying the currency used in the game "Second Life", which I then converted into bitcoins. I bought 12 coins to buy £60 worth of weed. I spent them all. Over the next year I continued to buy weed with bitcoins. The price went up a bit, but obviously it didn't affect me as I always spent them immediately. After a while I found a proper dealer so I didn't need to use the site anymore. I forgot about bitcoins.A couple of years later I hear about them again through word of mouth. I think it's because the price had just crashed. Down to £300 per Bitcoin from £600. I was pretty shocked that they were worth so much more than I remembered. I checked my wallet, I had £90 worth left over. This is where I made my second mistake. I thought, they can't possibly go any higher, so I figured I'd cash out and buy some more weed.Fast forward three more years. I finished university, I have a full time job and I've quit smoking weed. I see a gif on this subreddit with a motorcycle driver just barely hanging on and finishing the race. I check the current going rate for 1 bitcoin. £2,000 each. I check my wallet. 0.0002 bitcoins remain from my old stoner days.Fuck my life.Anybody else come across bitcoins early on but didn't have the foresight to hold on to them? via /r/Bitcoin http://bit.ly/2sWk8Jj

No comments :

Post a Comment