Thursday 29 June 2017

Bitcoin Blues

About five years ago I left home for university. I left my parents house and went to live in a big city in the north. I got there and didn't know anybody. In particular, I didn't know any weed dealers... I then discovered a nifty site on the deep web where you could buy drugs using a strange online-only currency called "Bitcoin". It took me a little while but I eventually figured out a way to get hold of them. Being in the UK it was apparently a bit more tricky than in the US. My first attempt involved buying the currency used in the game "Second Life", which I then converted into bitcoins. I bought 12 coins to buy £60 worth of weed. I spent them all. Over the next year I continued to buy weed with bitcoins. The price went up a bit, but obviously it didn't affect me as I always spent them immediately. After a while I found a proper dealer so I didn't need to use the site anymore. I forgot about bitcoins.

A couple of years later I hear about them again through word of mouth. I think it's because the price had just crashed. Down to £300 per Bitcoin from £600. I was pretty shocked that they were worth so much more than I remembered. I checked my wallet, I had £90 worth left over. This is where I made my second mistake. I thought, they can't possibly go any higher, so I figured I'd cash out and buy some more weed.

Fast forward three more years. I finished university, I have a full time job and I've quit smoking weed. I see a gif on this subreddit with a motorcycle driver just barely hanging on and finishing the race. I check the current going rate for 1 bitcoin. £2,000 each. I check my wallet. 0.0002 bitcoins remain from my old stoner days.

Fuck my life.

Anybody else come across bitcoins early on but didn't have the foresight to hold on to them?



Submitted June 30, 2017 at 12:14AM by MrDannyBlob http://bit.ly/2sWk8Jj

No comments :

Post a Comment