Thursday 28 April 2016

Coinbase locked my account, won't answer any of my emails and won't let me even check my balance or transfer funds to an external address.

I'm posting this here because I am honestly desperate and have no idea what else to do.

The situation is this...

I'm British and have always been a British citizen. I've been using Coinbase for over a year and I have the app on my phone so I can quickly check my balance.

I went on holiday to Iran for 10 days earlier this month. When I came back I tried logging into Coinbase on the app and the app just had a loading indicator and wasn't responding. I then tried logging in via my laptop and found a big notice explaining that as I apparently tried accessing my account from Iran, I'm violating sanctions etc. and I needed to email them by April 24th with a photo ID and proof of address.

I sent them high quality scans of my British passport and full driving licence, which acts as proof of address. I also told them that while I did travel to Iran for 10 days, I honestly have no idea why my account was logged in from Iran. The only thing I can think of is that my app was logged in while I was in the UK and when I used WiFi in Iran it refreshed and triggered this on their system.

After some time they replied saying that I apparently violated their terms and conditions and can't use my account to buy, sell or transfer to other Coinbase users but I'm allowed to access my account balance and transfer money to an external account. They then said that this decision can't be appealed, although they didn't acknowledge the fact that i sent them proof of ID and proof of address.

I checked my account again and I was still unable to access it. I then emailed Coinbase about this and they never responded. I've sent them other emails since, asking for a response and also checking if there's any other information they need from me in order to sort this all out and I've heard absolutely nothing.

It's been a week since my last email from them, I can't find any other contact details and I have no idea what to do at this point.

I'd be seriously grateful for any help!



Submitted April 29, 2016 at 05:26AM by DaveyTaco http://bit.ly/26yFTv4

No comments :

Post a Comment