Thursday 29 June 2017

Looking to buy a asic miner, some questions

So I recently got into crypto currencies and would like to contribute and get more involved with everything.

I am thinking of getting a cheap asicminer like the Antminer S5. My company has already a bunch of servers standing around and has because of that a cheaper agreement with the power companies here. I am thinking of just leaving the thing under my table, use it for learning more about bitcoins and forget it the other days.

So my questions:

  • Solo vs Pool. The way I see it is that one miner alone will not give me a lot of power, but the chance of getting lucky and occasionally hitting a hash through pure luck seems to be a possibility? Given the setup, what would be a average payout if joining a pool?
  • I am not that familiar with the differences in coins, but can the antminers be setup to mine other coins easily? For example if I want to point it towards etherum. How feasable is it to automatically split mining time on each coin?
  • Are these usually just linux boxes that allow me to setup my own software?

I read on some reports that the s5 is way too loud and inefficient for mining. Can you recommend something else that would be better for a beginner and potentially more silent?

/ EDIT: looks like I just answered a question of mine: The antminers can only mine SHA-256 based coins, so Etherum would be out. Are there any alternatives that could?



Submitted June 29, 2017 at 02:44PM by ThaiEveryday http://bit.ly/2ul3z7G

No comments :

Post a Comment