Saturday 31 October 2015

Why is buying/selling Bitcoin so difficult?

I live in Colombia and my business has a software provider based out of Canada who suggested Bitcoin as a payment method. The idea was to eliminate the hassle of wire transfers and save a lot of money from currency exchanges.

Never having used Bitcoin before, I sought help from someone I knew through Twitter who got me through the process of opening a wallet and getting set-up. Everything was very quick and very easy.

When I went to try purchase Bitcoins though...forget about it. My only option locally was through localbitcoins which led me to some well reffered users who had a mínimum fee of 25% per transaction. Trying to go through Canadian exchanges (CAVIRTEX) meant I had to provide ID, Passport, Utility Bill and a personal photo with the ID.

I was quite disappointed. Everything I had heard about Bitcoin was so positive and easy. Anonymous, international...seems extremely far from the truth. It is an absolute nightmare to try get my hands on these and then I can't imagine how much more difficult it will be trying to get rid of them.

Has it always been like this, or have things tightened up? I realize my location likely does not help me, as I am unable to open accounts or access many of the big sites. Even with a VPN I am screwed because I don't have the numerous documents needed.

Any thoughts or comments to help?



Submitted October 31, 2015 at 09:45AM by alj92 http://bit.ly/1Q2kpPE

No comments :

Post a Comment